Monday, July 25, 2011

Giving lecture

We are now in the second half of the semester. The student had done their mid semester exam. Overall, they did well. Now I shift from handling practical classes to giving lecture. I've done lecture on Taxonomy, earlier this morning half chapter of Biodiversity.

Students said the Biodiversity chapter is just too long, too many to read, up to 80 pages of notes. Yes, Biodiversity is about everything under the sun, running on the land, crawling into the river, swimming in the sea, flying in the sky, 80 pages of notes are not sufficient enough to learn about all those. You need to read more, step outside your classroom and start observing the nature.

I caught some of them fell asleep during the lecture, as expected. I was a student, I understand the boredom that the Biodiversity could induce. Now, I am trying to coach students to blend the knowledge they have acquired in Taxonomy lecture with what they have learned in Biodiversity.

I try to accommodate whatever they need to study and learn about taxonomy and biodiversity. I chunk the notes into smaller part, so they can understand better. I list down all important terminology and definition, so it is much easier for them to remember what they have read. I give extra questions, so they can discuss issues among them.

I'm learning too. I read more about evolution now more than I ever did during my days as a student. I just need to put all those information, deliver my best so I can share all these with the audience of mine, the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment